Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Top 5 Holiday picks for 2009


Oh the weather outside if frightful, but inside it's so delightful . . . blah, blah, blah, you know the rest. By now, if you are a fellow Minnesotan, you are so stir crazy that the hustle and bustle of the holiday season offers much appreciated relief and distraction from being stuck inside day in and day out. This year I welcome Holiday Bonanza 2009 with open arms and tears of gratitude. I have compiled a list of my top five holiday favorites for 2009. So flick on your electric fireplace, cozy up with a mug of peppermint hot cocoa and enjoy!
1) Starbucks Carmel Brulee Latte


Yum!!! As a self proclaimed Caribou lover, I am hesitant any time Starbucks flashes a new drink in my face, fearing it will not satisfy. But this, my friends, this does not disappoint. If you want a real treat, go ahead and order it full fat, otherwise the skim version is pretty darn tasty. And how can one not appreciate the crispy caramelized sugar sprinkles on top?

2) Ornament shopping at Patina


After ordering your Carmel Brulee Latte, why don't you cross the street and head over to Patina? The most beautiful store in the world, often described at walking into a jewel box, is a true treat for your senses. It is filled with many unique and beautiful tree trimmings. J and I each chose an ornament this year. We picked out a metallic hot dog and a marshmallow snowman. A great place to do some gift shopping as well.

3) Mass at the St. Paul Cathedral




The cathedral is one of the most beautiful buildings in the Twin Cities. A must for Christmas mass.

4) Beauty and the Beast at the Ordway


My mom and I are lucky enough to see this show at the Ordway this holiday season. I love the songs, the costumes, and the story. It brings me back to my childhood whenever I hear "Be Our Guest" or any other Disney tune.

5)The lights at Rice Park


To me this is one of the most magical parts of the city. It is very near and dear to my heart not only because it exudes Christmas magic, but also because it is where J proposed to me two years ago. Every year Rice Park transplants a very tall pine tree to be the center of the tree lighting ceremony. If you have a little time after the Ordway go ahead and take a stroll through the park and maybe meander over to the St Paul Hotel for a dessert or a cocktail.

So there is my list. By no means is it complete, but I hope to demonstrate the joys of the season can be found in activities and events both big and small, free or with cost. So while December is often filled with trips to the mall and fighting crowds, make sure to take some time to relax and enjoy the blessings of the season. Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

Sincerely,

Lo




No comments:

Post a Comment